Thursday, July 7, 2011

A true keeper of the craft

I have been fortunate to meet Dave Smith a few times at Letterhead meets (Sign Writer gatherings for those of you not in the know) throughout the years. The first time I met him was at a meet in London. He was working on a piece that I thought must have been designed on a computer...fat chance! It was all originally drawn by hand then all line work and fill in work was completed entirely by hand with a brush. This guy is absolutely incredible and was and is an inspiration to me. This video is the first I have seen that runs through the many processes and techniques in the reverse glass signage world...virtually non of which is present in the states. You have to travel to Europe, mostly, to see these works of art. I would say that there are only10-15 guys in the world who still make a living doing this...the rest of us just play on our own time when we can.

Check out the technique called "brilliant cut" glass where he uses a counter balance to work his glass piece over a cutting wheel...absolutely remarkable!

David A Smith - Sign Artist from Danny Cooke on Vimeo.

1 comment:

aaron said...

That's fantastic. Beautiful stuff.